I love salads! I eat them probably 3-4 times a week. One of the main things I love about salads is that they are so interchangeable. I can create a different salad everyday by adding new interesting vegetables or toppings. They are definitely a staple in my weekly meal planning regimen.
This Apple Berry Spinach Salad is perfect for holidays meals and is full of so many wonderful flavors! It’s vegetarian, gluten-free, low in fat and low in calories. Plus, the homemade red wine vinaigrette dressing is the absolute best!
Don’t get me wrong, not all salads are super healthy. You have to be careful with what you mix in and put on top of your greens. Adding a lot of shredded cheese, bacon or thick creamy dressing will not leave you with the low-fat meal you intended for. A few of my tips for keeping your salad as healthy as possible are 1. Stick to dressings that you can see through. The thicker the dressing the more calories and fat you end up adding to your salad. 2. If you are looking for more protein, add un-salted nuts, seeds, or lean-meats for my meat eaters out there. 3. Stay away from too many additional toppings such as Bac-os, croutons, crispy noodles, fatty cheeses and breaded chicken. 5. Pile on the fresh veggies & fruit.
Luckily, this recipe is already set up for you to have a nutritious meal without all of the unnecessary toppings or dressings. I begin with creating the red wine vinaigrette. Combine 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey, and a dash of salt & pepper. Whisk well so that all the ingredients are well incorporated. I then set the dressing aside until I am ready to serve the salad.
To create the salad, place approximately 4 cups of fresh baby spinach in a large salad bowl. Mix in one sliced red apple, along with 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries and raspberries. To finish, add 1/3 cup of roasted (unsalted) pistachios, and 1/3 cup of feta cheese. You have the option to add the salad dressing prior to serving, or place it on the side for guests to add as much as they desire. I prefer to place it on the side.
If you are looking for a completely vegan version of this salad, you can leave out the feta cheese, and replace the honey in the dressing with agave nectar.
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 red apple- sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/3 roasted (unsalted) pistachios
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- dash of salt & pepper
- To create the Red Wine Vinaigrette- Combine 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey, and a dash of salt & pepper.
- Whisk all the ingredients so they are well incorporated.
- Set the dressing aside until you are ready to serve the salad.
- To create the salad- Place approximately 4 cups of fresh baby spinach in a large salad bowl.
- Mix in one sliced red apple, along with 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries and raspberries.
- To finish, add 1/3 cup of roasted (unsalted) pistachios, and 1/3 cup of feta cheese.
- You have the option to add the vinaigrette prior to serving, or place it on the side for guests to add as much as they desire.