For those of us that deal with celiac disease or a gluten intolerance, don’t worry, we can still enjoy all the deliciousness of a good pizza crust.
Most gluten free pizza crusts taste like stiff cardboard, am I right?! But this crust tastes great, and can be modified to thick or thin & crispy. It is gluten, egg, and dairy free! (However, the toppings for this specific pizza are not). I love pizzas that are not over-loaded with toppings. The simpler the better! That is why I stick to a thin layer of pesto, with fresh tomatoes and onions to top. If you are looking for a completely vegan version, you can find dairy free pesto and Parmesan cheese at most grocery stores.
Instead of using eggs in this recipe, I substitute with a “chia egg”. Chia seeds are very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seeds. To create a “chia egg” you will need to soak 3 tbsp chia seeds in 6 tbsp of water for about 5 minutes. It will become gelatin like. After you have soaked the seeds, add them along with the drained chickpeas, chickpea flour, garlic salt and 1/2 cup of water to a food processor. I typically run the processor for about a minute, so that all the ingredients are well incorporated. Then I spread the dough onto a pizza stone or prepared baking sheet. (This dough tends to be sticky at first. I like to put water on my hands to help spread out the dough to a thin layer.) Once you have the dough as thick or thin as you desire, brush it with olive oil and bake for approximately 15 minutes. While dough is baking, I like to use this time to chop my remaining ingredients (onion, tomato, and fresh basil). After the 15 minutes are up, remove the dough from oven and top with pesto, onion, tomato, fresh basil, and Parmesan cheese. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the crust gets a golden brown color, and the cheese starts to slightly melt. As hard as it may be, once you remove the pizza from the oven, let it cool. I know…its just too delicious to have to wait for! But, trust me, I have burnt my mouth on many pizzas.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cup chicpea flour (or any gluten free flour)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/3 cup pesto
- Parmesan cheese (desired amount)
- Fresh basil (desired amount)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Soak chia seeds in 6 tbsp of water for about 5 minutes.
- Add soaked chia seeds, drained chickpeas, chickpea flour, garlic salt and 1/2 cup of water to a food processor.
- Spread dough onto a pizza stone or prepared baking sheet. (This dough maybe sticky, use water on your hands to help spread out the dough to a thin layer.)
- Brush dough with olive oil and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- While dough is baking. Chop onion, tomato, and fresh basil.
- Remove dough from oven. Top with pesto, onion, tomato, fresh basil, and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool.
- Slice and enjoy!