Are you looking for some healthy fuel on-the-go? Homemade protein bars are the way to go! Oil-free, no refined sugar, no high fructose corn syrup, and cheaper than the store bought versions. These pumpkin bars are a great snack and perfect as your pre/post workout fuel.
Between my husband and I, we can destroy a good amount of protein bars. Typically, we both have one a day. Due to our crazy consumption of bars, we are always looking for a cheaper way to fill the need. I know, I sound like I’m a protein bar addict…
But honestly, due to our crazy schedules and workout routines we always end up running to the pantry for a quick pick me up. These Pumpkin Protein Bars are easy and healthy for a person on the go.
I normally associate pumpkin flavor with the fall, when I can snuggle on the couch under a blanket with a warm cup of coffee. But, then again…I can hardly wait till the fall to have these bars. The soft texture and cinnamon spice melts in your mouth. Every so often, I like to add walnuts and pumpkin seeds for a little extra crunch. When baking, you can either use a muffin tin or a square pan (I prefer to use a 8×8 square pan, so I can cut the pieces as small or big as I want). I typically store them in a container or ziplock bag in our freezer so they last longer. Either way, you can’t go wrong with protein bars that are as delicious as they are filling and satisfying!
- 1 8oz can pure pumpkin
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup flour (I use gluten free flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pumpkin, egg whites, vanilla, and honey in large mixing bowl. Mix well with electric mixer, until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon) and mix well.
- Pour batter into a small-medium baking pan (I used an 8x8 square pan).
- Bake for approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool.