A friend of mine recently went to Germany for a family vacay. I’m not going to lie, I was pretty jealous! What a fun place to experience with tons of beautiful scenery and different foods to enjoy everyday. Luckily, she has family that lives there so they can show her around to all of the local places and where to find the best beers. I’m pretty sure it’s a rule that you can’t go to Germany and not have a beer or two…or ten.
After she got home she told me that her favorite meal throughout the entire trip was a burger. Strange right? I would never expect to hear someone say that the best meal in Germany was a burger. I figured it would be schnitzel, spaetzle or sauerkraut…but what do I know. There is a first for everything! When she described this burger to me I knew I had to make one for myself. Completely meat free, full of roasted walnuts, topped with sprouts, and perfectly fresh! Yum!
With her help, this amazing recipe for a Roasted Walnut & Herb Burger came to fruition. It’s a great hamburger alternative that is good for you and unique to the usual veggie or black bean burgers out there.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 1 cup of raw walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for approximately 10-15 minutes. When they are finished cooking, remove from oven, finely chop, and set aside for now. Next, drain two 16oz cans of chick peas. In food processor, pulse together 1 Tbsp garlic, 1/2 red onion and 2 Tbsp rosemary until they are coarsely chopped. Add chick peas, 1/3 cup of fresh parsley and 1 cup of bread crumbs to the food processor and pulse lightly. I prefer to use gluten free bread crumbs, but you can substitute what ever you like. Once your ingredients are mixed well, transfer to large bowl and stir in toasted walnuts, 2 eggs, and a dash of salt & pepper. Now for the messy part, form your mixture into patties and chill for about 1 hr. You should be able to form around 6-8 patties, depending on the size. When you are ready to cook the patties, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in large skillet and cook patties for about 4 minutes on each side. Place your burgers on toasted buns along with tomatoes, sprouts, and BBQ sauce. Feel free to add or substitute your favorite burger toppings here.
These Roasted Walnut & Herb Burgers are packed with protein and delicious flavor! They are so good they will have you questioning meats very existence.
- 2 16oz cans of chick peas
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I used gluten free)
- 1 cup walnuts- toasted and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- dash of salt/pepper
- Preferred buns
- Optional Toppings: Sprouts, Tomatoes, BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast walnuts for approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and finely chop.
- Drain chick peas.
- In food processor, pulse together garlic, onion and rosemary until they are coarsely chopped.
- Add chick peas, parsley, and bread crumbs. Pulse lightly.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and stir in walnuts, eggs, and salt/pepper.
- Form mixture into patties and chill for about 1 hr. You should be able to form around 6-8 patties, depending on the size.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and cook patties for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Place burgers on toasted buns along with tomatoes, sprouts, BBQ sauce.