Watching your weight and eating Mexican food typically don’t go hand in hand. It is hard to find adapted dishes that meet requirements for losing weight. Trust me I know your pain! But, when I get a craving for some spicy cuisine, I make these Sauteed Mushroom and Spinach Quesadillas. They are packed with so much flavor and perfectly seasoned. You will never miss the fact that there is no cheese or meat in them!
I don’t often make quesadillas. They never jump to the front of my mind when I am in the mood for Mexican food. I typically go for tacos, fajitas, or tortilla soup. But with this recipe, they will definitely become a part of my regular rotation. If you and your family are lovers of Mexican food, this is a simple, tasty meal that everyone will enjoy. No need to thank me!
In a skillet, saute 2 cups of chopped mushrooms in 3 Tbsp of olive oil, 1 Tbsp of minced garlic, 2 tsp of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper. Then, add 3 cups of fresh baby spinach. Cook the vegetables for about 3-5 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. In a small bowl, mash 2 avocados with a fork or potato masher, and stir in 1 cup of fresh cilantro. When you are ready to build your quesadillas, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spread the avocado-cilantro mix on half of a tortilla. Top with the sauteed vegetable mix, then add some chopped red onion. Fold your tortilla over and set on prepared baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the tortillas begin to brown. I was able to make 4 quesadillas with this recipe, but it will depend on the size of tortillas you prefer to use. I used the Large Tortillas from Udi’s.
This is an easy, no-fuss method for making a healthy Mexican food favorite. Wonderfully light and nutritious, your family (and waistline) will love you for it! Who said you can’t have Mexican food and be fit, too?!
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- Tortillas- Use your favorite!
- In a skillet, saute 2 cups of chopped mushrooms in 3 Tbsp of olive oil, 1 Tbsp of minced garlic, 2 tsp of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Add 3 cups of fresh baby spinach. Cook until spinach begins to wilt.
- In a small bowl, mash 2 avocados with a fork or potato masher.
- Stir in 1 cup of fresh cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread avocado-cilantro mix on half of tortilla.
- Top with sauteed vegetable mix.
- Add chopped red onion.
- Fold tortilla over and set on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until tortilla begins to brown.