With summer comes picnics, BBQs and parties. If you are lucky enough to live where it is warm and sunny, summer can be the best time of year. I remember living in Whidbey Island, WA where it was never really warm or sunny. For example, on the Forth of July I was still wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. Not fun for a girl from Texas, who loves the heat and sun.
Now that I am lucky enough to live in San Diego, I am fully taking advantage of the amazing weather. Whether it be a hosting a big potluck, family picnic in the park, or just enjoying an ice coffee on the porch, I don’t care, as long as I’m outside I’m a happy girl.
One dish that always reminds me of summer and picnics is a cold potato salad. It’s a side dish that is without a doubt at every party. Usually filled with mayonnaise (or a creamy dressing of some kind), cheese, and even bacon. It’s not what I consider to be the most health conscious food to eat…but it’s a tradition.
Well, today is the day to break that tradition. You heard me! I have created a Skinny Cauliflower Salad that will have you quickly forgetting about your grandma’s calorie-filled potato salad. No creamy dressing, starches, cheese or bacon here. My Skinny Cauliflower Salad is easy to make, full of herbs, a bold, tangy vinaigrette and sure to be a hit at your next potluck!
To begin, chop 1 head of cauliflower into small bite size pieces. Place the cauliflower into a pot with water and bring to boil. Once at a boil, continue to cook for 2-3 minutes then drain and rinse with cold water.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp of spicy mustard and a dash of salt/pepper. This will be a deliciously light vinaigrette for your salad, instead of the creamy base found in most potato salads.
Place the cauliflower into a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup of chopped celery, 1/2 cup of chopped scallions, 1/3 cup of chopped green bell pepper, 2 chopped hard boiled eggs and 1/2 cup of fresh parsley. Pour the vinaigrette into the bowl and stir. Make sure all the ingredients are well coated with the vinaigrette. Place the salad into a refrigerator for about an hour or until you are ready to serve.
This Skinny Cauliflower Salad is a delicious side dish for any summer meal. Bursting with fresh flavor and crunchy vegetables, you will never want to serve another boring potato salad again.
- I head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 hard boiled eggs (chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp spicy mustard
- dash of salt/pepper
- Chop 1 head of cauliflower.
- Place cauliflower into a pot with water and bring to boil.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp of spicy mustard and a dash of salt/pepper.
- Place the cauliflower into a large bowl. Add chopped celery, scallions, green bell pepper, 2 hard boiled eggs and 1/2 cup of fresh parsley.
- Pour the vinaigrette into the bowl and stir ingredients.
- Place salad into refrigerator for about an hour or until you are ready to serve.