Is your dinner menu becoming boring and routine? If so, you have to try these Spicy Lentil & Quinoa Koftas. It is a healthy, vegetarian meal filled with the rich, fragrant spices of Indian cuisine. You will never want another boring dinner again!
I love Indian and middle eastern food. The combination of spices and herbs are to die for! Every time I go out to eat, the number of options at a typical Indian restaurant makes my head spin. I never know what to choose. I love going to a restaurant and having options, but dang…when it comes to a Indian food I never want to choose just one.
One item I always see on the menu are koftas. Koftas are meatballs (or meatloaf) in middle eastern cuisine. They are very popular and are usually made with beef, chicken, lamb or pork. Today, I decided to make my own vegetarian koftas. These Spicy Lentil & Quinoa Koftas are the perfect alternative to typical meatballs. They are aromatic and super flavorful! You home will be overflowing with the intoxicating smell of cumin, cinnamon and paprika.
This recipe has a few steps in it, but trust me…it is totally worth the effort! I start by creating the “meatball” mixture. To do so, bring 1 cup of dry lentils, 1/2 cup of dry quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil. Then, lower the heat to medium and simmer until all the water is absorbed. Place the cooked lentils and quinoa into a large mixing bowl, with 2 eggs, 3 tsp cumin, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cayenne and 1 tsp ground ginger. Mash the ingredients together and form approximately 15 balls. (I usually do this with my hands. It is a little messy, but much easier and takes less time.) Place the balls on a prepared baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes.
While koftas are baking, I start to work on the sauce. Begin to saute 1/2 chopped green bell pepper and 1/2 chopped red onion in a large skillet. Add 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce, along with 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt, 2 Tbsp of jalapenos, 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of cayenne and 1 tsp of lime juice. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Once the koftas are finished baking, place them into the sauce, along with 1 Tbsp of fresh parsley, and simmer for about 15 minutes. When you are ready to serve, place koftas over rice, quinoa, or a bed of lettuce. Top with additional fresh parsley, if desired.
If you are passionate about food and trying new dishes, you have to try this recipe. You will definitely end up impressing your friends and family at your next dinner.
- For Koftas:
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- For Sauce:
- 1/2 green bell pepper- chopped
- 1/2 red onion- chopped
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp jalapenos
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley + additional for topping
- In a medium pot, bring dry lentils, dry quinoa and 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Lower to medium heat and simmer until water is absorbed.
- Place cooked lentils and quinoa into a large mixing bowl, with 2 eggs and remaining spices.
- Mash the ingredients together and form approximately 15 balls.
- Place balls on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- While koftas are baking, begin to saute green bell pepper and red onion in a large skillet.
- Add 1 8oz can of tomato sauce, along with greek yogurt, jalapenos, paprika, cumin, cayenne and lime juice.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Once the koftas are finished baking, place them into the sauce, along with fresh parsley, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, place koftas over rice, quinoa, or a bed of lettuce. Top with additional fresh parsley, if desired.