Are you a fan of cold or warm weather? Personally, winter is one of my favorite times to workout. But, I know how it can be hard to motivate yourself during these cold, dark months. Below I have a list of my top Winter Workout Hacks that will hopefully get you moving. Remember summer bodies are made in the winter!
1. Don’t wait for the weather to cooperate: Winter weather can be a big bummer. As long as you know that, you can prepare yourself for all that mother nature will throw at you. You can’t always wait for the perfect sunny day to go for a jog. A little snow or rain never hurt anyone. Just make sure you are smart and safe about your workouts.
2. Dress 15-20 degrees warmer than it actually is: You don’t want to head out on a run, wearing a heavy jacket and sweater. Trust, me…in about 10-15 minutes you will be regretting those heavy layers and wanting to strip down. It’s only cold if your standing still :).
3. Plan your workout for tomorrow: Planning is the best way to stay accountable. Schedule your workouts, grab a friend and don’t let yourself hibernate all winter long.
4. Wear reflective, bright clothing: Whether you decided to wear a shirt, shorts or shoes with reflective accents, make sure you dress appropriately for the weather and time of day. You can even purchase lighted vests or headlamps so drivers will be able to spot you better. I love my slimming black workout clothes, but if you are running in the evening or early morning it may not be the best idea.
5. Layer strategically: If you are planning on an outdoor workout session, make sure to layer strategically. Just because you are cold now, doesn’t mean you will stay that way. After a while, you will be warmed up, heart pumping and body sweating. Make sure to wear layers that are easy to remove and not a hassle to tie around your waist, if necessary.
6. Make workouts fun: If you are stuck at home during a snow storm or don’t feel like going out, try making your home workouts fun! Even though Christmas is over, you can still dance to your favorite Christmas songs or create a task to do while watching a movie:
- 10 pushups every time Marv or Harry get hurt in Home Alone.
- 10 squats everytime the narrarator says a word with “who” in The Grinch.
- 5 Burpees everytime you hear a bell ring in A Wonderful life.
7. Up your lifting game: Winter is the perfect time to start lifting those weights. Adding weight training will help your fitness goals on many different levels. You will burn more calories, increase your energy, sleep better, and your clothes will fit better :).
8. Recover properly: As hard as it may be….Don’t go for the leftover Christmas cookies. Recover with proper nutrition and hydration. It is the key to staying on track with your health and wellness throughout the winter.
9. Wear sunscreen: Just because it is cold and not “bikini” weather, does NOT mean you can’t get a sun burn. Be sure to wear sunscreen if you are going outside for a hike, run or any type of workout.
10. Stay hydrated: Even though summer is long gone, you still need to make sure you stay hydrated. During a run (or any exercise) your body is working just as hard in the winter as in the summer. Make sure you replace what you loose.
In need of new workout clothes? Check out some great apparel at Graced By Grit and be sure to use code PRODEAL482 for 20% off your online order.