I love Asian food. Chinese, Thai, Korean…they are all delicious! There are times when nothing satisfies like a bowl of pad thai or pho…mmmmm! However, takeout Asian food is not always the best option for someone watching what they eat. Most dishes are packed with crazy amounts of calories, sodium and fat. My lighter version of Asian meatballs is one of the best, budget-friendly appetizer recipes you can easily make right at home.
Turkey is a great low-fat alternative to ground beef. I often use it as a replacement in burgers, meatloaves, and other recipes. If you are a meat eater, opting for turkey is a great way to reduce the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol you consume regularly.
To create these amazing meatballs, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, place the ground turkey along with 1 cup of oats and 2 chopped green onions. Next, you may get a little messy…mix the turkey, oats and onions together with your hands, and form into small balls. (This recipe should make approximately 24 meatballs.) Place the meatballs onto a prepared baking sheet and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the meatballs are slightly brown.
While the meatballs are baking, we will create the saute sauce.
In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup hoisin sauce, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and 1 Tbsp minced garlic. Whisk until all ingredients are well integrated.
Once the meatballs are finished baking, remove from the oven. Place half of them in a medium-hot skillet with half of the sauce. Saute for approximately 2-3 minutes, until they are well coated. Remove the first batch from the pan and repeat this process with your remaining meatballs. I like to slice a couple more green onions to place on top of the finished meatballs for a little added freshness.
- Approximately 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup oats
- 4 green onions
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop 2 of the green onions.
- In a large bowl, place the ground turkey along with oats and chopped green onions.
- Mix well with hands, and form mixture into small balls. Should make approximately 24 meatballs.
- Place meatballs onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until meatballs are slightly brown.
- While the meatballs are baking, we will create the saute sauce.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic.
- Whisk until all ingredients are well integrated.
- Once the meatballs are finished baking, remove from oven. Place half of them in a medium-hot skillet with half of the saute sauce.
- Saute for approximately 2-3 minutes, until they are well coated with the sauce.
- Remove first batch from pan and repeat process with remaining meatballs.
- Slice the remaining two green onions, and place on top of the finished meatballs.