Sugar-free, pectin-free, preservative free…how can this jam get any better?! Oh I know, it tastes amazing as well! If you are in search of a healthier jam to give to your kids (or yourself), then you have to try this Raspberry Chia Seed Jam.
Chia seeds are one of the healthiest foods in the world. Even though they are tiny, chia seeds are full of nutritional benefits. They are packed with omega-3, calcium, iron and magnesium. Chia seeds can be eaten whole and absorbed by the body, while another popular seed, flax seed, has to be ground before consumption in order to obtain their health benefits. Be careful not to consume too much in one day since they do carry a large amount of dietary fiber as well. (Adults can consume 15-20 grams of chia seeds per day. Children under 10 should not consume more than 1 tablespoon of chia seeds).
In a sauce pan I add 2 cups of fresh raspberries and begin to warm over low to medium heat. As my berries start to warm, I mash with a fork or potato masher until they turn into a fairly smooth consistency. Then I add in 1.5 Tbsp of honey and cook for another 2-3 minutes. After the honey is well integrated into the raspberries, I remove my pot from the heat and add in 2 Tbsp of chia seeds along with 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract. Stir well, and then just let the mixture sit. Once jam cools a bit, I place it in an air tight container in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. The chia seeds will continue to soak up liquid and create a thicker, jelly-like consistency.
This Raspberry Chia Seed Jam cannot be any easier to make. In less than 15 minutes you can create an amazing homemade jam that is perfect on toast or your kids pb&j sandwiches.
- 2 cups Fresh Raspberries
- 1.5 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a sauce pan, add raspberries and begin to warm over low to medium heat.
- As berries start to warm, mash with a fork or potato masher until you have a fairly smooth consistency.
- Add in honey and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in chia seeds along with vanilla extract.
- Stir well, and let sit.
- Once jam cools, place in air tight container in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. The chia seeds will continue to soak up liquid and create a thicker, jelly like consistency.