I am a lover of jalapenos on anything and everything! Not only do I enjoy them on chips, but salads, rice, pasta, even popcorn. It’s the perfect condiment to so many dishes. I can’t imagine my life without them! If you are also a lover of jalapenos, I’m sure you have enjoyed a jalapeno popper once or twice in your life. If you have sadly missed out, they are an addicting appetizer made of jalapenos stuffed with cheese and often wrapped in bacon or some type of meat, then fried to a golden brown, and dipped in ranch dressing. As much as I know you wish they were healthy, we all know they are far from a waist reducing snack. Which is why I have come up with a new take on everyone’s favorite app. These Vegan Stuffed Pepperoncini Peppers are the best thing since sliced bread! Slightly tamer in heat, no greasy cheese or bacon, and baked to perfection. Enjoy all of the flavors of stuffed jalapenos in this healthier version of your all time party favorite.
Instead of stuffing my peppers with cheddar or pepper jack cheese, I wanted to create my own vegan almond cheese. It is made of simple, dairy free ingredients and has the same consistency of a soft, crumbly cheese much like feta. It’s not only amazing stuffed in these peppers, but spread on crackers or veggies.
To start, soak 1 cup of almonds in a bowl of water for at least 2 hours. Once the almonds are slightly tender, drain remaining water. In a food processor, combine soaked almonds, 1 tsp of lemon juice, 4 tsp of olive oil, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and a dash of salt & pepper. Pulse the ingredients until you have a smooth texture. If you want to make the consistency more smooth, add 1-2 Tbsp of water and pulse a few more times.
To prepare the peppers, drain 1 12oz. jar of pepperoncinis, slice the top off and scoop out the seeds. Spoon almond mixture into each pepper and place on a baking sheet. Broil the peppers on high for approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
When you have a clean, healthy “cheese” stuffing such as this, there is no need to wrap any additional ingredients on the outside of these peppers. They are the perfect appetizer to help you keep your health goals on track. Keep popping those poppers and rocking those workouts!
What is your favorite healthy appetizer to bring for parties? Leave me a note below! I love hearing from y’all 🙂
- 1 12oz jar pepperoncinis
- 1 cup almonds (soaked)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 Tbsp water
- dash of salt & pepper
- Soak 1 cup of almonds in a bowl of water for at least 2 hours.
- Once the almonds are done soaking, drain remaining water. Almonds should be slightly tender.
- In a food processor, combine soaked almonds, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder and salt & pepper.
- Pulse the ingredients until you have a smooth texture.
- If you need to add 1-2 Tbsp of water to make the consistency more smooth, do so at this time.
- To prepare the pepperoncinis: Drain jar, slice tops off of peppers and scoop out the seeds.
- Spoon almond mixture into each pepper and place on a baking sheet.
- Broil the peppers on High for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.