Kale is a nutritional beast! This dark, leafy green is high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium. As of right now, its the popular vegetable that keeps running off the shelf! Recently, I have found myself driving to 2 or 3 grocery stores looking for it to be stocked…so annoying! But, this predicament has resulted in my husband and I starting to grow kale in our garden. It’s very easy to grow, and super hearty. I love being able to walk outside and pick what I need for my meal, rather than fight the crowds at the local grocery store.
There are so many ways you can enjoy kale, from soups to smoothies and salads. But, one of my favorite ways to prepare kale is combining it with broccoli and quinoa to create a light, lemony salad.
This recipe is fairly easy, you just need to have a little time to wilt the kale. It’s perfect to make for a side dish, but every so often, I will eat it alone for a meal.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 large bushel of kale, stems removed & chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt/pepper to taste
- Prepare quinoa according to package.
- Heat olive oil in a large (deep) pan.
- Add chopped red onion and saute until slightly translucent.
- Add chopped broccoli and garlic. Saute until broccoli begins to soften.
- Add kale and vegetable broth to pan. Lower the heat and cover, so that the kale will start to wilt. (You may have to add a little amount at a time, depending on how deep your pan is.) Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Once kale is wilted, poor mixture into large bowl.
- Add cooked quinoa, along with the juice of 1 lemon, Parmesan cheese and salt/pepper to taste.
- Stir well to incorporate all ingredients.