If your kitchen is like mine, there is always a bag of brown rice lying around. It’s a great, cheap option to have for a last minute side dish. When I forget to go to the grocery store after a long day (which is quite often), rice is always a safe dish I run to. But like anyone else, I definitely get bored with the same old side with my dinner. This Southwestern Rice Salad, kicked up a notch with zesty jalapenos, corn, peppers and black beans, is anything but boring! It will turn your next meal into a fiesta!
This easy and delicious recipe is the perfect compliment to any dish and the perfect alternative to the usual Mexican/Spanish rice. You can whip it up in no time. It’s a simple side, or even a main entree. My husband and I often have it by itself. But, either way you decide to enjoy it, it’s a healthy and light dish that is perfect every time.
Begin by cooking your brown rice according to the package. You want to end up with approximately 4 cups of cooked rice. While rice is cooking, open and drain one 15 oz can of black beans and two 15 oz cans of corn. Place the black beans and corn in a large mixing bowl. Next, chop one red bell pepper and one red onion into small pieces and add to your bowl. Depending on how spicy you like your food, you will finely chop 1-2 fresh jalapenos. If you want more spice to your dish, do not remove the seeds from the jalapenos. Once the rice is finished cooking, add the rice along with the chopped jalapenos, 1 cup of fresh cilantro, 1/3 cup of white wine vinegar and 2 tsp of chili powder to the bowl and mix well. Place the salad in your refrigerator to cool (approximately 30 minutes). I typically serve this dish as a cool, refreshing side. But, you can always keep it warm as well. Serve it the way you like!
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 2 15 oz can corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 fresh jalapenos
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Begin to cook brown rice according to package.
- While rice is cooking, open and drain the cans of black beans and corn.
- Place black beans and corn in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop red bell pepper and onion into small pieces and add to bowl.
- Finely chop the fresh jalapenos. If you want more spice to your dish, do not remove the seeds from the jalapenos.
- Once the rice is finished cooking at it, along with the chopped jalapenos, cilantro, vinegar and chili powder to the bowl and mix well.
- Place salad in your refrigerator to cool (approximately 30 minutes).