Ok I have to be honest, I am the worst at making omelets. I always start out with the best intentions of making an amazing dish but end up breaking the eggs so it never looks like an omelet. More like a scramble mess of eggs and vegetables. If you are in the same boat and seem to be incapable of making an omelet, you have to try this Asparagus & Spinach Frittata. It is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner! I personally love it because it is simple to make and doesn’t look like a child made it.
My husband and I absolutely love asparagus. Typically we grill it with a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt. But not today! Today, I decided to scratch our usual grilled asparagus for a sauteed version in this delicious frittata recipe. To be honest, I wasn’t too sure if it would turn out how I hoped. Would the asparagus still be tough? Would it become stringy? How long should I saute it? Is this going to be a complete disaster? Boy was I wrong! The asparagus gives this breakfast dish the perfect amount of texture. Not too crunchy, while not completely cooked down like the spinach or onions. It is just the addition I was looking for!
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. While your oven is warming up, chop 1 bunch of asparagus into bite size pieces. In a oven-safe skillet, saute asparagus with 1/3 cup red onion and 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Once the vegetables become slightly tender add in 2 cups of fresh baby spinach and continue to cook until spinach is wilted.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 6 eggs, 1 Tbsp of herbs de provence, and your desired amount of cracked black pepper. Pour the eggs into your skillet and lower the heat. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the eggs start to firm up. Once the eggs appear to be firming up, place the skillet into your oven and cook for approximately 10 minutes. For the last 2-3 minutes, turn your oven to a high broil so that the top of the frittata becomes nice and brown. Carefully remove the skillet from your oven and it let cool down before serving (which is always the hardest part for me!).
Don’t let the fear of ruining another omelet deter you from cooking an awesome breakfast. This Asparagus & Spinach Frittata is a no-fail recipe that looks beautiful, as well. Hearty, healthy and delicious! You will never bother with making silly omelets again.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp herbs de provence
- cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop asparagus into bite size pieces.
- In a oven-safe skillet, saute asparagus and 1/3 cup red onion in 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Once the vegetables become slightly tender add in 2 cups of fresh baby spinach and continue to cook until spinach is wilted.
- In a bowl whisk together 6 eggs, 1 Tbsp of herbs he provence, and your desired amount of cracked black pepper.
- Pour eggs into skillet and lower heat. Cook until the eggs start to firm up.
- Place skillet into oven, cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Broil on high for about 3 minutes to brown the top of the frittata.
- Remove from oven and let cool.